The Bog Mine is one of a number of mines in the local Stiperstones area that exploited local deposits of lead, zinc and barytes. The mine closed in the 1920s when it became uneconomic and most buildings were removed.
The entrance to the Somme Tunnel can be viewed - this was a tunnel/adit built around 1916 that was ultimately unsuccessful and not developed into a full mine. It takes its name because it was built around the time of the Somme offensive in WW1.
The old Victorian school for the children of the miners has been converted into The Bog Visitor Centre which serves as an education resource, local history display and cafe and as a base for exploriing the wider area.