This two-level bunker was built for the East German Secret Police (Ministerium für Staatssicherheit or MfS) including its minister, Erich Mielke. Mielke served as head of the Stasi from 1957 until shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
The bunker was constructed between 1984 and 1988 and was one of the most protected and technically advanced bunkers built. It had sophisticated atmospheric control and decontaminatiion facilities. The main entrance was along a tunnel from the basement of a nearby office block. The land above the bunker was laid out as an assault course within a barracks area. The bunker would have accommodated 160 people.
The upper floor is staff accommodation and offices; beneath are plant and equipment rooms, the control room for the bunker and the Stasi Situation and Map Room. Visits to the site which still has much of its original equipment can be prearranged.