Battery Moltke is an impressive complex of four 15.5cm gun emplacements, linked by tunnels to underground ammunition storage bunkers. It was named after the Chief of the German General Staff from 1906 to 1914, Helmuth Johann Ludwig von Moltke. One of the emplacements has been restored by the Channel Island Occupation Society and is linked to a 27 man (M151) personnel shelter. The latter has working stove and original ventilation equipment and was manned by the German Navy.
Some of the ammunition bunkers are used for display purposes. Most of the heavy artillery was dumped in the sea off the nearby cliffs and can still be seen from the cliff top. One of the guns has been retrieved and placed back in its original emplacement.
Nearby is the impressive Direction and Range-finding tower, where each of five levels provided guidance for one of the artillery pieces. Visual aiming was augmented by radar equipment, mounted on the roof. The whole complex is open on prearranged dates and is well worth a visit.