Battery Lothringen is located on the south west of Jersey, at the entrance to St Aubin’s Bay. It housed four guns - elderly (1917) 15cm pieces, installed on open platforms. The compex, which was manned by the German Navy, also housed a two-storey underground command bunker of design M-132. This provided directions to the guns based on periscopic range-finding equipment. The guns were moved and fired automatically from within the bunker.
Also on the site is MP1 - a Marine Peilstand or ‘Naval direction-finding tower’. Unusually, the tower is built into the cliff face and on top of the 5 storey tower was mounted a light anti-aircraft gun. The complex has been partially restored by the Channel Islands Occupation Society and can be visited on set dates through the summer months.