The Anachor Inn at Salterforth is unusual in having two levels of cellars.
The pub was built around 1655 on an old packroad, well predating the adjacent Leeds and Liverpool Canal. When opened it was named the Travellers Rest. When the canal was built in the 1790s, the original cellars were now below water level and so the building was extended upwards with the old bar becoming the new cellar and the original living accommodation becoming the new bar! There is a door in the new cellar through which a short section of the original packhorse road can be seen. The original cellar still exists but is permanently flooded to around knee depth.