Tunnel Vision


Crescent Wood (AKA Upper Sydenham)

Nr Crystal Palace

London, SE26

Portals at TQ342720 and TQ343724

Crescent Wood is also known locally as Upper Sydenham tunnel as it was immediately adjacent to the station of that name. Its name is omitted completely from later maps produced by the South Eastern & Chatham Railway who adopted the line from 1919.

This abstract is taken from the 1959 One Inch Ordnance Survey Map and shows both the southern Paxton tunnel and the northern Crescent Wood. The map is dated 1959, which is after the track has been lifted. It is still shown because the previous full revision was in 1954/5 and the 1959 map was just major corrections. The stations were accurately shown as closed but have been 'brought back to life' with a little recolouring in Photoshop.

 

The 400-yard, double bore tunnel was constructed between Sydenham Hill woods to the north and the proposed site of Upper Sydenham station (built in 1884) to the south.

This photograph from the line's final year of operation in 1954 shows a southbound train emerging from Crescent Wood tunnel to stop at Upper Sydenham which, as you can see, abutted the tunnel's southern portal.

Photo from the collection of Chris Fletcher

A longer shot of the same view, again in 1954, shows the extent of the tunnel. Despite the impression of a curve given by the approach tracks, the tunnel is totally straight.

Photo from the collection of Nick Catford

 

Crescent Wood was constructed by the Crystal Palace and South London Junction Railway to serve the Great Exhibition when it moved (complete with the reconstructed Crystal Palace) from Hyde Park in 1852. The line opened to revenue earning services on the 1st August 1865.

This line carried trains from the junction at Nunhead to the immense caverns of Crystal Palace High Level station alongside Crystal Palace Parade. The ruling gradient for the double track line throughout was 1 in 78 and this included the only two tunnels on the whole branch which were built very close together at either end of Upper Sydenham station (the second being Paxton Tunnel).

Electrification equipment was bought from 1910 onwards but he installation was sporadic and was not completed for a staggering 15 years in 1925.

This 1980 image shows the southern portal before the council installed some heavyweight protection in the form of solid steel doors. At this time, the tunnel was often found open due to the attention of vandals.

Photo by Nick Catford

This photograph from 1980 shows the view within the tunnel, looking back from just inside the double doors in the image above. Among all the debris you can see a sloping wall which is the transition into the platform edge. The paler masonry in the background is the wall built to seal the portal.

Photo by Nick Catford

 

The branch was never a great financial success as its route into London traced a path through picturesque, but sparsely populated areas of the garden suburbs. This lack of paying passengers led to the line being closed and reopened several times in its short life. The destruction of the Crystal Palace by fire in 1936 finally sealed the fate of the line and its decline from this point was inexolarable.

The line first closed between 1st January 1917 and 1st March, 1919. Then, towards the end of the war, it closed again on 22nd May 1944 until 4th March 1946.

After the second closure, it was often suggested that the Bakerloo Line could adopt the line of route for its long-planned extension into south London. The extension never went ahead, of course, and when the plans were abandoned the line finally closed on 20th September 1954.

This photograph from about a year after closure in 1956 shows the stub of the track leading into the northern portal.

Photo by J L Smith

The Situation in 2004

Although heavily built upon since its closure, the branch line is still easy to follow as large sections of it are now nature reserves, nature trails or public parks.

Both Crescent Wood and its southern sister, Paxton, are securely sealed by heavy steel doors with secondary high fences erected in front of them (except the southern portal of Crescent Wood which lacks the fence).

These barriers were fitted when, over a very short period in the 1980s, several local children went missing and police dogs were used to search the tunnels. Residents' fears of the perceived danger (rather than any gruesome finds) prompted the council to seal all four portals, just leaving grilles at the very top open for ventilation to help slow the degradation of the bores.

Access

Both the northern and southern portals are easily accessible to visit today although access is impossible. One is situated in a well kept nature reserve and the other in a modern housing estate.

Sub Brit is talking to Lewisham Council for permission to photograph the site and if we are successful, those photographs will appear here in due course.

The northern portal now sits in Sydenham Hill Nature Reserve. The gate to the reserve is just on the right as you come into Crescent Wood Road from Sydenham Hill and this will bring you out right next to the tunnel mouth. The old road access through Peckermans Wood is currently gated and locked and is not recommended.

This 2004 image shows the northern portal in the Sydenham Hill Nature Reserve.
This site is open right through the year during daylight hours.

Photo by Chris Fletcher


Close-up of the northern portal with screen fence and heavy inner doors.

Photo by Chris Fletcher

The southern portal shown below is accessible through a new housing estate off of Westwood Hill. Turning into High Level Drive follow the road round until you come to a strange square concrete structure (a vent for the Penge railway tunnel below). Turn right here into Vigilant Drive and the Tunnel is directly behind the block of houses at the end. A footpath leads around the block and brings you out onto the former track bed. Another access point is a footpath from the former station building in Wells Park Road which leads down besides the retaining wall.

The southern portal - note the contrasting designs between the two tunnel mouths.

Photo by Chris Fletcher


Not only a big steel door, close inspection shows that Lewisham Council's protection measures
extend as far as spot-welding the little door on the right shut.

Photo by Chris Fletcher

 

Anomaly

As with Paxton tunnel, research on Crescent Wood also unearthed an old mapping anomaly.

The line opened in 1865 and although it should have been based on an actual survey, detailed perusal of the 1874 Ordnance map clearly shows the small cutting and northern portal, but the southern one and the future site of Sydenham Hill station are missing, as is the northern opening of Paxton. Woods and field features are shown instead. A cartographer's mistake, perhaps?

Another noticeable feature of the two sister tunnels when considered together is that the two portals that face each other on either side of Upper Sydenham station both share the same design, as do the two 'outer' portals on each tunnel. The differences can be clearly seen in the images above.

 

Sub Brit visits May 1980 and December 2004

Contributors and references:

Chris Fletcher, John Smiles, Nick Catford

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, HP White edited by Thomas and Patmore

Londons Lost Railways by Charles Klapper (Book Club Associates)

Lost Lines of the Southern by Nigel Welbourn (Ian Allen)

London Suburban Railway series - Crystal Palace (High Level) and Catford Loop (Middleton Press)


Tunnel Vision Home Page
Last updated: 04 01 2011
©1998- 2016 Subterranea Britannica