Site Records


Site Name: Wood Lane Station (Central Line)

Wood Lane (Junction with Ariel Way)
London, W12
OS Grid Ref: TQ234804

Sub Brit site visit April 1968, February 1980 & February 1986

[Source: Nick Catford]

WOOD LANE CLOSES
Although the movable platform proved workable it was not the ideal solution and the station was still unable to take trains longer than 7 cars in the high level platforms. In 1938 the LPTB obtained consent to resite the station 350 yards to the north. Although the new station, to be named White City, should have been in service by 1940
but it was delayed by the war and work finally started on 6th May 1946. To enable its construction, the cutting needed to be widened and the westbound line was re-routed through a new 220yd covered way. The new station was sited almost opposite the stadium, 350 yards north of its predecessor; it opened on the 23rd November 1947. Wood Lane closed after the last train the previous day.

Photo:Platform 1 and 2 in March 1980. The BBC Television centre can be seen in the background, this now stands on the site of the Franco-British exhibition.
Photo by Nick Catford


Platform 3 in the 1920s
Trains continued to pass through the low level platforms until 1948. After that date a new westbound tunnel, was brought into use with the abandoned Platform 4 being retained, with a slightly truncated platform, on the line into the depot. Eastbound trains continue to run through Platform 3 until it was demolished in 2005 during the construction of a bus station for the new Westfield shopping centre and observant passengers were able to make out the station tiling and the LT roundels.

Photo:One of several LT 'Roundals' still in place on Platform 4 in March 1980. These were removed before the station was demolished.
Photo by Nick Catford

The track through Platforms 1 & 2 was lifted in the 1950's and the bridge over Wood Lane and the western part of the walkway crossing over the station was demolished. The track bed was then returned to nature with impenetrable undergrowth. The ironwork that supported the arcaded walkway survived into the late 1960s but had been demolished by 1970. The
footbridge over the platforms was demolished in the 1980s and the stairways down to the lower platforms were blocked to deter vandals and trespass. At street level the entrance building was used by a number of retail outlets but eventually became derelict and the entrances were bricked up for a few years but it was later renovated as office accommodation as seen in the picture below.

Photo:Satnley Heaps' distinctive entrance facade in March 1996. One of the roundels and the station time in relief lettering on the l;intel below it has been restored by the London Transport Museum and will eventually be put on display. Click here for the story of its recovery and subsequent restoration. The roof of the boiler house can be seen in the background.
Photo by Nick Catford


The site of Wood Lane station in December 2009 from a similar viewpoint to the picture above.
Photo by Nick Catforfd click here to enlarge
REDEVELOPMENT
In 1994 it was announced that a shopping centre and bus station was to be built on the site and Heaps' street level building was due for demolition in the summer of 1996. This was delayed and demolition eventually started in the autumn of 2003; all four platforms and station frontage were all cleared away during the construction of the bus station and widening of Wood Lane; a new depot was built completely below ground under the shopping centre. One section of the frontage including the mosaic Underground Group bullseyes and the station
name in relief lettering has been dismantled for display at the LT museum.  The former power station and boilerhouse which are listed buildings have been retained and restored as part of the new development.

A new Wood Lane station opened on the adacent Hammersmith and City line on 12th October 2008 to serve the Westfield Shopping centre. The new station is on the site of the H & Cs closed White City station. White City were intended to be temporary and to be closed after the exhibition but it remaibned open, eventually closing on 31 October 1914, shortly after the
outbreak of World War I. The station was brought back into use on 5 May 1920, but was open only when an exhibition was being staged. Following a fire, in which one of the wooden platforms was destroyed, the station closed on 24 October 1959. The station at viaduct level was demolished completely although he original ticket office at ground level still remained.

Photo:The site of Wood Lane station in 2005. The two buildings on the right are the power station and boiler house. These are listed buildings and have been incorporated into the new development.
Photo by Keith Ward

Other web sites: Hywel Williams' Underground History - Disused stations on London's Underground web site and Pendar Silwood's Abandoned Tube Stations web site

Further reading: Abandoned Stations on London's Underground by J E Connor - Pub. Connor & Butler 2008 ISBN 978 0 947699 41 4

Tickets from Michael Stewart

Sources:

  • London Railway Record Vol. 10 & 11. The London Railway Record is published quarterly and costs £10 for 4 issues. To subscribe please send a cheque to Connor & Butler Specialist Publishers, 69 Guildford Road, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2RZ.
  • London Transport Museum (Old photographs unless stated)
  • Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

For further information and pictures of Wood Lane Station click here

[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 04-Jan-2011 14:55:40 GMT
© 1998-2009 Subterranea Britannica