Site Records


WAPPING TUNNEL

Gallery 4 - 2014

[Source: Paul Wright]

A view looking east towards Edge Hill on 26 April 2014 from a point just to the west of Great George Street. The structure seen protruding into the tunnel is the mid-1970s bridge that was created to carry the Merseyrail link line between the original alignment of the CLC main line and the alignment of the former Liverpool Central Low Level platform. The line opened as part of the Merseyrail Northern line to passenger services on 3 January 1978.
Photo by Chris Iles


A view from 26 April 2014 showing how the Wapping tunnel was in part cut through solid sandstone and in part lined with brick.
Photo by Chris Iles


A view from inside the tunnel on 26 april 2014 showing a capped ventilation shaft.
Photo by Chris Iles


The Wapping tunnel had a number of signal gongs which provided an audible warning to train crews. One of the gongs is shown to the left in this view taken on 26 April 2014.
Photo by Chris Iles

Towards the western end of the Wapping tunnel an area had become flooded by the 1990s. Infilling of the tunnel with rouble was probably the main cause of the problem. The flood was still present when this view was taken on 26 April 2014.
Photo by Chris Iles


Looking west on 26 April 2014 from the cutting that was created in 1895/6 as part of the work that allowed locomotives to run through the Wapping tunnel. The 1829 Wapping tunnel is the centre bore. To its left and right are two tunnels dating from 1895/6 that were built to provide more capacity at the enlarged Wapping Goods station: The works at this location effectively
cut the original tunnel into two parts.
Photo by Chris Iles


To the right is the western portal of the short tunnel that led from the southern side of the Wapping Goods (Park Lane Goods) station to the cutting that was created in 1895/6. Jamaica Street crosses over the tunnel. To the left can be seen the bridge that carried Park Lane over the southern part of the goods station.
Photo by Chris Iles


A view looking north-east from what would have been the inside of the Wapping Goods station on 26 April 2014.
Photo by Chris Iles


The remains of the Wapping (Park Lane) signal box seen on 26 April 2014.
Photo by Paul Wright


To the left is the eastern portal of the short section of the original 1829 Wapping tunnel seen on 26 April 2014. What had been one tunnel became two when a cutting was created at this location in 1895/6. To the right is a tunnel that gave access to the northern part of the goods station at Wapping. It dates to 1895/6.
Photo by Paul Wright


Another view from 26 April 2014 showing the flooded section of the Wapping tunnel.
Photo by Chris Iles

Gallery 1 - 1828 to 1957

Gallery 2 - 1974 to 2011

Gallery 3 - 2012

Gallery 5 - The Ventilation Shafts

To return to main page click here

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Saturday, 03-May-2014 05:57:12 BST
© 1998-2014 Subterranea Britannica