Site Records


Site Name: Newbold (Old) Tunnel - Oxford Canal

Newbold
Warwickshire
OS Grid Ref: SP487771

Sub Brit site visit October 1980

[Source: Nick Catford]

As originally constructed, the northern section of the Oxford Canal from Hawkesbury to Napton junction closely followed the contours. From Hawkesbury to Hillmorton it took the line of the 300ft contour; then, having ascended through three locks; it followed the 325ft contour to Napton. A 16 mile flight for a crow became a 44 mile voyage for a boat.

Photo:The southern portal of the old Newbold Tunnel
Photo by Nick Catford

To combat a proposal made in 1827 for a London & Birmingham Junction Canal, a wide waterway designed by Thomas Telford, which would have bypassed the Oxford completely, the Oxford Company decided to modernise its own canal. Within a few months plans were produced to shorten the line by nearly 14 miles, with embanked cuts and large aqueducts replacing the meandering loops. Although the London & Birmingham proposal eventually came to nothing, the Oxford went ahead with its scheme which, in view of the profits the company was making, it could well afford. In May 1834 the new line was opened. Not all the planned alterations were effected and the line was shortened by just over 11 miles.

The old Oxford Canal loops and Newbold Tunnel

Many traces can still be found of the Oxford Canal's disused loops. On the northern outskirts of Rugby the B4112 Rugby-Newbold road edges up close to the canal. Here the original line swung abruptly south in front of the Barley Mow and the Boat Inn.


The new tunnel in the early 1900's
The north portal of the old Newbold Tunnel was on the north side of the road; the tunnel took the canal under the road and the churchyard emerging in a field on the southwest side of the church, where the brick south portal can still be seen. The tunnel, some 400ft long, was altered during construction for fear it would affect the stability of the church. The northern section was wider, with a flatter arch; the southern part was made elliptical and the width of the wooden towpath was reduced.
When visited in 1980 the tunnel was open but it has subsequently been bricked up to prevent access with two small holes in the brickwork to allow bats to use the tunnel.

Photo:Newbold Old Tunnel in January 2005
Photo by Paul Jennings

From the south portal the depression of the canal bed can be seen making its way through the fields. It ran up close to the Rugby-Nuneaton railway line, was bridged by the minor road from Newbold to Little Lawford and rejoined the present main line on the west side of the B4112 road bridge.

Photo:The new tunnel in June 2002
Photo by Henk Groeneveld from his canal web site

On the new main line the tunnel was replaced by one of generous dimensions with a towpath each side of a channel wide enough for two narrow boats to pass.

Further reading: Landscape Detective by Anthony Burton & John May - Guild Publishing 1986 ISBN: 0049140612

Sources:

  • Lost Canals and Waterways of Britain by Ronald Russell - Pub by David & Charles
    ISBN 0 7153 8072 9

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: 04 01 2011
©1998- 2016 Subterranea Britannica