Site Name: Liverpool Overhead Railway & Dingle Station
Kedleston Street (Dingle Station)
OS Grid Ref: SJ363876
Sub Brit site visit July 1999
This was beyond the financial resources of the company, who looked
to the City Council and the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board for assistance.
No adequate solution could be found and, despite rigorous public protests,
the railway closed on December 30th, 1956. Rescue attempts continued
until September, 1957, when the dismantlers moved in.
||Extensive bomb damage was inflicted during the Blitz
but it was quickly repaired to maintain the smooth running of the
docks. Modernisation of some of the nineteen 3-car sets had begun
as the War drew to a close and eight were in operation by 1955.
In the same year, the curved deck plates which supported the track
were reported as being in need of replacement at an approximate
cost of two million pounds.
Station in the 1930's
Dingle station was the scene of the Overhead's worst disaster. In
December 1901, an electrical fire on board an incoming train got out
of control and fanned by the tunnel draught, quickly engulfed the terminus.
Six people died and such was the devastation that the station was closed
for more than a year.
After little more than sixty years existence, a much-loved, pioneering railway
was rapidly removed from its prominent elevated position which had thrilled
so many passengers with its unforgettable sights of dockland activity.
Today, only traces can be seen in the form of columns set into the dock
wall at Wapping, the tunnel portal at Herculaneum and the excavation
at Dingle Station, now used by an engineering firm.
map showing the line of the tunnel
Although difficult to access the tunnel portal was sealed some
years ago so the only access into the station site is from Kedleston
Street off Park Road. Here a ramp leads down to the original station
entrance subway with its white glazed brick walls now looking
very grimy. The subway curves down onto what was the platform
but is now a car repair workshop and storage area. At the top
of the ramp there are a set metal gates (probably not original)
and above the company monogram.
For much of its length from the portal above Herculaneum Dock
the brick lined tunnel is in original condition and apart from
a few dumped cars is not used by the engineering company. Approaching
that station area the tunnel widens to take the crossover and
island platform. There were also two short sidings on either side
of the running lines and at the end of each siding a steel buffer
can still be seen set into the brick wall.
Looking towards the tunnel
The station site has been cleared, the platform has been removed and the original
access ramp has been extended down to track level. Beyond the station
the tunnel again narrows, running a further 123 yards to a blind end.
Here there are a further two steel buffers set into the wall at the
end of each line. This section of tunnel has been converted into a car
repair workshop with ramps, inspection pits and work benches.
For further pictures
of Dingle Station click here
05 07 2012