SiteName: Kingsway Tramway Subway
Southampton Row - Victoria
OS Grid Ref: TQ30478163
Brit site visit August 1994
South of Aldwych Station, the tracks curved sharply to the south west in twin
tunnels and continued beneath Aldwych as a single tunnel with brick arch roof,
separating again at the Strand into twin cast iron tubes which continued to about
a third of the way under Lancaster Place. The exit on to the Embankment was through
the western wing wall of Waterloo Bridge and here a triangular junction was constructed.
The eastern side of the junction, leading towards Blackfriars, was never used
and was removed during later reconstruction.
were inaugurated on 10th April 1908, from Highbury Station to Tower Bridge and
from Highbury Station to Kennington Gate. The cars were stabled at Holloway and
New Cross depots. There were numerous changes to the routes over the following
As the years passed, it became increasingly evident that
the operation of single-deck cars could not be made profitable and moreover, if
the subway could be enlarged to take double-deckers many useful connections could
be given and the movement of rolling stock from north of the Thames to Charlton
works would be greatly improved.
New entrance under construction at Waterloo Bridge
Station - The portacabin is the GLC flood control centre
Photo by Nick
Southampton Row Entrance
In 1929 therefore, the LCC decided to increase
In 1929 therefore, the LCC decided to increase the headroom to 16 ft. 6
in. by raising the roof at the northern end and by deepening the tunnel at other
This announcement brought suggestions that the subway
might well be enlarged to take motor traffic as well as trams, but the Metropolitan
Police Commissioner pointed out that congestion would arise at each end of the
tunnel, that a serious traffic block would quickly develop if a vehicle broke
down inside and
that there was a danger of exhaust
fumes and even fire.
The London Traffic Advisory Committee recommended
that the tunnel could serve no useful purpose as a motor way and the L.C.C. would
have nothing to do with the idea. The contract was awarded to John Cochrane and
Sons, Limited, who started work on the street level on 11th September 1929.
of Holborn the roadway was opened up and the twin tunnels replaced by one wide
passage with a steel girder roof, while
the additional headroom was obtained by under-pinning the side walls with concrete
and lowering the track by approximately 5 ft. The estimated cost was £326,000
including £76,000 for the reconstruction of the 50 single-deck cars.
subway between Holborn and Strand
Photo by Nick
The two tramway stations were rebuilt and modernised,
that at Holborn being finished in travertine, a cream marble used in ancient Rome.
Standard trackwork with yokes and slot-rails set in concrete was used in place
of the special type evolved for the original construction.
The formal reopening
was performed on Wednesday, 14th January, 1931, by the Chairman of the Council,
Major Tasker. Public service commenced at 5 o'clock next morning, with a one-minute
headway and a total of 5,000 cars per week.
The Southampton Row ramp as it appears today
In 1937, the rebuilding
of Waterloo Bridge necessitated the diversion of the subway exit to a position
centrally beneath the new bridge, at a cost of £70,000 including a new crossing
of the District Railway; after the changeover took place, on 21st November, 1937,
the curved section of tunnel leading to the former exit in the bridge abutment
was walled off and still exists.
In anticipation of a general
conversion of the London tramways to trolleybus working, an experimental trolleybus
placed in service on 12th June, 1939, was so designed as to permit passengers
to board and alight from the offside at Aldwych and Holborn Stations.
The war brought a reprieve to the remaining London tramways and was followed by
a decision that the routes still working would be replaced by motor buses and
the subway closed.
Further information and pictures about this site
updated: Tuesday, 04-Jan-2011 14:55:45 GMT || |
1998-2002 Subterranea Britannica