SiteName: Dunnet Head Coast Defence U-Boat (CDU) Radar Station
Sub Brit site visit 24th June 2003
[Source: Ian Brown]
In late 1939 a scheme was proposed by Vice-Admiral Sir James Somerville to set up radar stations to cover the Fair Isle Channel against U-boats passing through the channel to or from the Atlantic; Somerville was appointed Director of Anti-Submarine Weapons and Devices in January 1940. In the spring of 1940 this scheme was extended to the north of Shetland and to the Pentland Firth. The six stations, known as Admiralty Experimental Stations, in this scheme were located at Sumburgh, Fair Isle (two stations), Saxavord, South Ronaldsay and Dunnet Head and were operated by the Royal Navy.
Map of Dunnet Head showing existing buildings
1 Operations Block 2 Power House 3 Stand-by Set House, 4 MT Shed, 5 IFF Cabin 6 ROC Post
Dunnet Head, Admiralty Experimental Station No. 6, was the last to
be constructed, work beginning in the summer of 1940 on high ground
just to the south of the lighthouse. Like the others, Dunnet Head was
a Coast Defence U-boat (C.D.U.) station, the naval version of the R.A.F.'s
Chain Home Low (C.H.L.) radar which formed part of the early warning
network round the coasts of Britain. The C.D.U. radar was able to track
shipping and surfaced submarines to a distance of a few miles and could
also detect aircraft at ranges of 100 miles or more, depending on the
height of the aircraft. When erected, the station at Dunnet Head consisted
of two separate huts, one for the transmitter and one for the receiver,
with the aerial arrays mounted on gantries which straddled each hut.
The aerial arrays were of the 'bedstead' type, so called because of
their resemblance to mattresses. These aerial arrays were turned by
hand, using a purpose built crank and gearbox in the manner of a bicycle
with a chain running up through the roof to the aerial frame above.
Following several months of construction work, A.E.S. 6 at Dunnet Head
became operational in December 1940.
Photo: Operations Block with Gantry on the left hand
Photo by Nick Catford
With developments in radar technology it eventually became possible to transmit and receive using a single aerial array and this method of operation was carried out at Dunnet Head from May 1942. However, further improvements continued and a move into a single brick building with a single aerial array on a gantry and power-turned aerial took place in December 1942.
The station had three radars, an AMES Type 2, 10cm AMES Type 30 (A CD1 Mk3 issued only to Admiralty stations) and a Type57 (AMES 14 Mk2 [T]).
During its operational lifetime, Dunnet Head plotted a number of enemy aircraft in the Orkney area as well as those over South Shetland and the Fair Isle passage, the latter generally meteorological reconnaissance of aircraft flying out into the North Atlantic.
In addition, tracks of some 35,000 friendly aircraft were plotted by the station during the three years it was operated by the Royal Navy.
Photo:Aerial Phjotograph of Dunnet Head
Photo from Caithness Community Web Site
For a site interpretation and more picture of Dunnet Heat click here
[Source: Ian Brown]