Site Name: Cambokeels Mine & Cambo Keels Incline
Sub Brit site visit June 1997
[Source: Nick Catford & Roy Lambeth]
The Cambokeels Mine (sometimes called Cammock Eals or Cammock Isle
and in later years it became known as Cambokeels or locally simply as
'Cambo'), was developed on a section of the Slitt Vein roughly half
way between the villages of Eastgate and Westgate in Weardale. The mine
occupies the site of an abandoned medieval village and is adjacent to
the route of the Weardale.
Cambokeels Horse Level in the mid 20th Century
The main adit is located on the north banks of the River Wear and
the abandoned workings can still be seen from the road (A689). The Slitt
Vein in this area was first worked by the Beaumont Company who drove
a level from the banks of the River Wear below the Scar Limestone from
1868 -1871 for lead. Although the vein was large, lead values were poor
and the mine was soon abandoned. Parkburn Level was then driven from
Park Burn (NY92153884) in 1872 but after driving for 920 metres the
mine was abandoned as once again the vain was large but there was little
lead. The mine was reopened for fluorspar by W. Hird and Co. in 1905.
They opencast the vein at Heights Pasture Mine on the east side of Park
Burn from 1915 - 1925 with output transported by the Weardale Iron Company
Railway. As the surface workings became exhausted the company reopened
the Parkburn Level. As this was below the level of the Weardale Iron
Company Railway they made an incline to the road at the bottom of the
1921 map showing the incline and the triangular junction with the Wear Valley Railway
This incline also served the Heights Quarry which had been developed on the
site of the abandoned Heights Mine by the Weardale Iron Company. With
an increased demand for limestone during WW1, the output at Heights
rose dramatically and to improve the transport of limestone from the
quarry the Cambo Keels incline was built by German POW's with a triangular
junction with the Wear Valley Railway at Cambo Keels siding bridging
the River Wear on wooden trestles. Cambo Keels was three quarter mile
long self acting 1 in 8 incline with three tracks incorporating a mid
way passing loop. By 1923 production had slumped and with the incline
providing easy access to the Wear Valley railway the upper section of
the Weardale Iron Company's railway was closed between Heights and Rookhope.
The incline was eventually replaced by an aerial ropeway which itself
was abandoned in the late 1950's. Heights Quarry is now one of only
two quarries (2005) still open for their original purpose.
Photo:One arm of the triagular junction with rails still in situ in 1964 despite being abandoned
40 years earlier
Photo by Roy Lambeth
J Coulthard opened Cambokeels Mine for fluorspar in 1906 and worked it until 1909, When W. Hird & Co finished working Parkburn Level they worked Cambokeels until 1927. A Dalton reopened Cambokeels Level in 1935, working a stope to the west of Fleming's Shaft before abandoning the mine in 1939.
The mine was reopened in 1948 by Anglo-Austral Mines Ltd, a subsidiary
of the Imperial Smelting Corporation who worked the mine until 1960.
In this time they are estimated to have extracted 26,128 tons of fluorspar,
1203 tons of lead ore and 51 tons of Zinc concentrate. Their workings
were above the horse level in the length between Park Burn and Fleming's
Photo:The horse level in 1997. The adit was grilled shortly after this photograph was taken.
Photo by Nick Catford
The most recent production cycle at Cambokeels began in February 1969 when the mine was bought by two local men, Malcolm Brown and Madison and for the next decade and a half the mine was one of the most productive sources of fluorite in Weardale. Brown & Madison put in a new incline below the old horse level, discovering high grade fluorite ore from the 40 meter level down. The mine was sold to Swiss Aluminium UK (SAMUK) who established working levels at 200 meters (in the Tynebottom Limestone) and at 240 meters (in the Whin Sill and Jew Limestone).
Most of the buildings from the most recent workings are still extant including the tippler ramp but the winding house at the top of the incline and all the equipment has gone. The remaining buildings have been ransacked and vandalised and anything of scrap value has gone.
For further information and pictures of this site click here
[Source: Nick Catford & Roy Lambeth]