SiteName: Cae Coch Sulphur Mine
Sub Brit site visit 16th August 2003
[Source: Nick Catford, John Bennett & Robert Vernon]
The history and geology of Cae Coch Mine is an abridged (by Nick Catford) version of Mines of the Gwyder Forest Part 7 by John Bennett & Robert Vernon pages 12 - 39. ISBN0 9514798 6 5. It is reproduced with permission from the author.
There is little documentary evidence relating to the early history of Cae Goch Sulphur Mine and suggested mining during the Roman occupation cannot be confirmed. The first written reference to mining at Cae Coch is a letter written by Sir John Wynn in 1607 referring to a mine with "great store of brimstone (Sulphur). It may be digged at a small charge and lies within two bowshots of a navigable river which, within seven miles, empties itself into the sea"
The next written evidence of the mines existence is at the end of the 18th century when a letter from Robert Owen describes the Pyrites Mine at Cae Coch "at a stand for twenty-five years until a new company came to investigate the prospect in 1817." Production at the mine was on a small scale until rapid development of the alkali manufacturing industry after 1820 brought prosperity to Cae Coch.
The first pyrites was ready for shipment in June 1821, a mere 100 tons and the result of several years labour.
Production of pyrites from 1821 to 1833 stayed at around twenty tons per month, with almost the entire output being shipped direct to Liverpool. From 1834 production increased to about eighty tons per month until 1843 when it was reduced to about thirty tons per month.
Photo:Pit props supporting the roof in the pillar and stall workings
Photo by Nick Catford
Between 1851 and June 1878, under new ownership, production was once again increased a little over thirty thousand tons of pyrites being shipped to Liverpool. This represented an output in most years of over a thousand tons interrupted briefly in 1856 when a large roof-fall halved normal production and for a period of years during the early 1860s during the American Civil War when normal production was cut back by around one third. In a good year production reached 17,000 tons with a workforce up to 32 men.
In March 1880 the lease for the mine, now extending to some forty-four acres, was sold to William Veitch, a chemical manufacturer from Crieff, Scotland. Veitch also had an interest in the Liverpool chemical industry to where the pyrites continued to be despatched. He was quick to introduce improvements at the mine, building an incline down to the turnpike road running through the Ddu valley. Production was subsequently increased to a peak in 1885, when one hundred and nineteen men produced nine thousand four hundred and forty-three tons of ore.
The new proprietors introduced electricity in 1890 after installing
a turbine driven by a new leat from the Afon Ddu but they abandoned
their operations five years later and the mine remained idle for several
years. There were a number of short term leases but little serious sustained
production until a new phase of interest and activity during the First
Plan of surface features of Cae Coch Mine
Drawn by Rob Vernon
With the coming of war in 1914 all British mines that might provide strategically important minerals were investigated. Cae Coch fell into this category as sulphur is an important ingredient in the manufacture of munitions. An initial examination by the Department of Mineral Resources in 1915 came to the conclusion that the sulphur content of the pyrites was too low to justify re-opening the mine, but as it became increasingly difficult to import satisfactory material, this decision was eventually reversed.
By 1917 the Government was prepared to act on its own estimates, which suggested that the mine could be made to yield some two to three thousand tons of pyrites per week with a 42% sulphur content.
The mine was acquired by the Ministry of Munitions under the Defence of the Realm Act and in January 1917 exploratory work began. By June of that year the workforce of two hundred and thirty, constructed power plant, installed compressors, and erected a crushing mill and aerial ropeway to carry the pyrites across the Conwy valley to the railway line. Between May and December of 1918, some 15,951 tons of pyrites were sent from the mine, just over half the total output from all mines in the UK.
With the end of the war, the mine ceased production in January 1919 and remained idle until the build up to hostilities in 1939 when it was once again considered as a useful source of sulphur.
Investigation at Cae Coch was initiated in 1940 by Sulphuric Acid Control, a Department of the Ministry of Supply. By the end of that year a number of reports had been prepared for the Governments' Non-Ferrous Metallic Ores Committee, pertaining to the potential contribution of Cae Coch to the war effort. The report advised that an output of 30,000 tons per annum was considered feasible and it was decided to go ahead with exploratory work to ascertain the reserves available.
The underground work was started in August 1941 by the British (Non-Ferrous)
Mining Corporation Limited, acting as agents for the Non-Ferrous Metallic
The thickness and sulphur content of the pyrites proved inconsistent
and a decision was taken to close the mine on the 14th of May 1942.
For further information, trip report and more pictures click here here
[Source: Nick Catford, John Bennett & Robert Vernon]