Tunbridge Wells: `War Room' Region 12.Government Buildings
These pictures show one of the 1950s regional war rooms (see `The Regional War Rooms: 1950's').
After its role as a regional war room, this bunker became the first home for the first ever Police National Computer. However, this outgrew the site. In later years, up to demolition, it was used as a document store.
This bunker was demolished in 1997 to make way for new Land Registry buildings. Demolition was supposed to take two weeks, but in the event it took three months.
The bunker in August 1997, just before demolition. Photos by Mark Bennett
Last updated 13th April 1998
© 1997 Subterranea Britannica