Site Records


Site Name: Queenborough Sub Control

North Road
Queenborough
Kent

RSG site visit 10th September 2002

[Source: Nick Catford]

 

Photo: Queenborough Sub Control seen from the roof of the old Guildhall
Photo: Queenborough Sub Control seen from the roof of the old Guildhall
Photo by Nick Catford

The Queenborough Civil Defence Control Centre was built during WW2 at the rear of the Guildhall. In consisted on a single storey brick building with a concrete roof. The control was reactivated in 1955 as a sub-control reporting to the Area Control at the Dane John Council offices in Canterbury. The sub control was closed in 1968 when the Civil Defence Corps was abolished. When controls were reactivated in the 1980's the building was not reused, the whole of Sheppey being covered by the Swale Council Emergency Centre in Sittingbourne.

The Guildhall remained in use until 1974 with the formation of Swale Council. It is now the local Conservative Club. The former sub control was owned by Abbott Laboratories Ltd and the only access is from their car park but it has recently been sold and any future use is unknown.

Historical research: Keith Ward

Those taking part in the visit were Nick Catford, Keith Ward, Robin Ware and Bob Jenner


home.gif Home Page
Last updated 17th September 2002

© 1998-2002 Subterranea Britannica