Site Records


Site Name: Luton County Borough Control

TL089209
New Street
Luton, Beds.

 

[Source: Keith Ward]

Luton County Borough Control opened in 1954 as a single storey surface blockhouse. In about 1958 a training centre was built on top of the control and a 3 bay garage alongside. It continued in use after the stand down of the Civil Defence Corps in 1968 and was funded by the Borough until about 1975. It was not re-used in the 1980's when the left wing council set up very basic emergency facilities in the Town Hall. The training centre became a teachers resources centre but is now closed and the site is derelict.

Photo: Luton Control and CD training centre
Photo: Luton Control and CD training centre
Photo by Keith Ward

 

[Source: Keith Ward]

home.gif Home Page
Last updated 18th January 2002

© 1998-2002 Subterranea Britannica