Site Records


Site Name: Kintyre Civil Defence Training Centre

Bolgam Street
Cambletown
Argyllshiren
OS Grid Ref: NR71952043

Sub Brit site visit September 2003

[Source: CNMORE/Martin Briscoe]

The Old Courthouse, in Bolgam Street is a two-storied block having a small courtyard at the rear. This incorporates a spacious first-floor hall of which the street frontage is lit by a range of round-headed windows; the interior contains a columned chimney-piece and the doors and windows have
moulded architraves. Part of the structure may be as old as the 18th century, but the building evidently assumed its present appearance in 1852-3 when it was modeled for use as a courthouse and prison.

Photo:Kintyre CD Training Centre
Photo by Martin Briscoe

During WW2 it housed the Kintyre Civil Defence training centre and this role was revived after the war remaining in use until the disbanding of the Civil Defence Corps in 1968. The building is now derelict.

Photo:Sign is still visible above the door
Photo by Martin Briscoe

 

[Source: CANMORE/Martin Briscoe]

home.gif Home Page
Last updated 9th October 2003

© 2003 Subterranea Britannica