Site Records


Site Name: Finsbury Borough Control

Rosebery Avenue
London
EC1

Sub Brit site visit 14th January & 5th March 2004

[Source: Nick Catford]

Finsbury Town Hall was built in 1895 to serve the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury which was established in 1888. It is located in Rosebery Avenue, London, EC1 at its junction with Garnault Place.

In 1939-1940 a temporary civil defence reporting centre was set up in the basement of the town hall while a permanent two level control centre was excavated by 'cut and cover' beneath Garnault Place. There had been some objections from the Ministry of Home Security about the cost of the new control to a small borough like Finsbury but with several key targets in the area, notably the Metropolitan Water Board HQ on the opposite side of Rosebery Avenue, the construction was authorised.

Finsbury Borough Control was opened in late 1940 and was considered to be one of the best reporting centres in the London County Council area.

Photo:Finsbury Town Hall - The bunker lies beneath Garnault Place to the left of the building.
Photo by Nick Catford

The two level bunker was accessed down steps from the basement of the town hall. The upper floor was designed as a two room air raid shelter for town hall staff (one room for 94 persons and the other for 91) with the control centre located on the lower floor. External walls were 6' 6" thick

The borough control was closed after the war and used for storage but with the threat of nuclear attack in the early 1950's it was reactivated in 1952. In about 1959 it was designated a sub area control to the area control housed in Islington Town Hall's old WW2 control centre.


The German plane lies on top of Finsbury control
click picture to enlarge
In 1965 the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury was amalgamated with the Metropolitan Borough of Islington to form the new London Borough of Islington. At this time the area and sub-area scheme was abandoned. The new borough control was established at Islington Town Hall while the Finsbury control was downgraded to a sector post located in the lower level with the upper level being used as a civil defence training centre. With the disbanding of the Civil Defence Corps in 1968 the sector post and training centre were shutdown and the bunker placed in care and maintenance.

In 1972 plans, the town hall was designated as a sector control, but this probably just involved use of the main building. At this time, plans were only on paper and were not put into practice. During the 1980's the London Borough of Islington was politically to the far left and only used one room of its large two storey control centre in the town hall.

Plan of the bunker

Finsbury's bunker remained in use as a store but in recent years the lower floor has been completely flooded. The water level has fluctuated and at times also flooded the upper level up to a depth of about one foot.

In the 1990 London Fire & Civil Defence Authority borough war plan the bunker was not considered of any use and the local housing office at rear of Finsbury Town Hall was designated as an Area Support Centre (successor to sector controls). All of Islington's area support centres were located in local housing and neighbourhood offices.

In late 2002, Islington Council proposed selling the Grade II listed building to Berkeley Homes, for conversion into luxury private flats. There were numerous objections and the sale fell through but in 2004 the council were in negotiations with the Urdang Dance Company and it now seems likely that the town hall will soon be in private ownership.

It is unclear what will happen to the bunker. It was pumped dry in March 2004 for a visit by members of Subterranea Britannica but within days it was filling up again and unless the reason for the water ingress can be easily found and remedied the bunker will be allowed to flood making both levels unusable. It will then be up to the new owner to find the reason for the water ingress.

Photo:Flooded stairs down to the lower level
Photo by Nick Catford

SITE DESCRIBED
The bunker is entered from the basement of the town hall where two flights of stairs give access to either end of the upper level. Although the bunker is beneath Garnault Place rather than beneath the town hall building itself, the upper level could be described as a sub basement to the town hall and the lower level a sub-sub basement; it is unusually deep for a borough control.

We entered at the northern end through a set of double wooden doors. In front of the doors there is a low concrete wall that has to be stepped over, presumably to stop flood water from entering the town hall basement. Ventilation trunking was originally fixed to the left hand wall but this has now been removed. Half way down the steps to the upper level is one of two emergency escape shafts. It consists of a square shaft with step irons in the wall up to a locked manhole cover. The top of the shaft was located in the pavement above in Garnault Place but the manhole cover was different to that seen below so it is assumed that there is a later cover over the original hatch. At the bottom of the steps is a steel plate gas tight door opening into a small lobby area from where a second stairway goes down to the lower level and to the right another gas door gives access to the upper floor which was originally designated as a shelter for town hall personnel during WW2 and was used as a civil defence training centre post war.

Photo:One of the two large rooms on the upper level. During WW2 this was an air raid shelter for town hall personnel and in the 1950's it was a civil defence training centre.
Photo by Nick Catford

Passing through the gas door, there is a short corridor opening at the far end into a long wide room. On the left hand side of the corridor a wooden door gives access to the ladies toilets and another room. The four toilet cubicles have been stripped of any original fittings and one of the cubicles must have been taken out of use at some point as it now contains ventilation trunking which comes up through the floor from the plant room below. On the wall of the wash room there is a broken notice which reads 'These lavatories ….be used during….warning. Keys in…. Unfortunately part of the sign is missing. Opposite the cubicles there is a small room which, on the original plan, is shown as a ventilation plant room although there is no evidence of this now.

Moving back into the large room at the end of the short corridor. This is now completely empty apart from ventilation trunking running along one wall just below the ceiling. There is a wooden door at the far side leading into a similar room. There is a tide mark on the wall indicating that at some point this room has been partially flooded. It is interesting to note that the tide mark slopes from one end of the room to the other indicating that the bunker isn't level. The second room is also stripped of any original fittings apart from ventilation trunking. On the far end wall there are two doors next to each other.

Further information and pictures about this site continues here

[Source: Nick Catford]

home.gif Home Page
Last updated 10th March 2004

© 2004 Subterranea Britannica