Site Records


Site Name: Eston - Grangetown Area Control

Normandy Road
Eston
Yorkshire
NZ542195

RSG site visit 28th April 2002

[Source: Nick Catford]

The North Riding of Yorkshire's Grangetown Area Control opened in 1954. In 1960 it became the sub-control for Grangetown and Eston as part of the Teeside sub region finally acting as a District Control for the newly formed Teeside County Borough in 1965. The control was closed in 1968 following the disbanding of the Civil Defence Corps.

In the 1980's revival the building was not re-used with the then Langbaurgh District Council utilising a room in the Eston Town Hall basement.

Photo: Grangetown Area Control
Photo: Grangetown Area Control
Photo by Nick Catford

The 'T' shaped windowless brick (originally rendered) blockhouse still stands in the grounds of the Eston Leisure Complex alongside a public footpath linking Normandy Road with Church Lane. There is one door fronting on to the footpath that is securely locked and a second door at the rear that can only be opened from the inside. Its present use, if any, is unknown.

Those taking part in the visit were Nick Catford, and Shawn Sanders

Historical research by Keith Ward

[Source: Nick Catford]

home.gif Home Page
Last updated 3rd May 2002

© 1998-2002 Subterranea Britannica