Site Records


Site Name: Edmonton Borough Control (Site 1)

TQ337944
Churchfield Recreation Ground
Edmonton, N.18

[Source: Nick Catford and Keith Ward]

The WW2 Edmonton Civil Defence Centre is located in Churchfield Recreation Ground on the east side of Great Cambridge Road, A10. There are two 100' long brick buildings parallel to each other. The northern building is 'L' shaped and was a gas decontamination and cleansing station. It has a 10' square brick tower at one end housing the water tank.

Photo: Decontamination station
Photo by Nick Catford

At the eastern end of this building is a 5 bay garage for Civil Defence vehicles; all the doorways have been blocked up. This and the decontamination centre now house the Churchfield Play Centre. The southern building was the Edmonton Borough Control Centre, which continued in this role into the cold war finally closing in 1958 when a new Control was built in the basement of the Plevna Road Clinic in Edmonton.

Photo: Edmonton CD Centre with Control on the left
Photo by Nick Catford

The basement was considered for the new Enfield Control in the 1980's but is now flooded and the entrance has been bricked up. The former control centre in Churchfield Recreation Ground now houses the Old Tottonians Rugby Club.

The site continued in use for training until the end of the Civil Defence Corps in 1968. It is now the only complete WW2 Civil Defence Centre still extant in London.


home.gif Home Page
Last updated 7th June 2003

© 1998-2003 Subterranea Britannica