Royal Observer Corps
Record added 8/5/2001
Post Name CRAIL
OS Grid Reference NO60640774
County Fife
Date opened February 1959
Date closed October 1968
Location On a low mound to the west of a right angle bend in an access track 300 yards west from the junction of Kirkway and St. Andrews Road (A917)
Description SEALED All surface features remain intact but the hatch has
been sealed with concrete. A metal dome and aerial bracket on the ventilation shaft indicates this was a master post and also indicated it may have closed later than reported. There is some erosion of the mound around the access shaft. It is surprising that this post closed in 1968 as it was a master post. The installation of radio equipment only started in February 1968 and master posts were generally not closed during the 1968 reorganisation
Remaining
Surface
Structures
A WW2 brick and concrete aircraft post stands alongside within its own original compound. It is approximately 18' X 10' with an 8' X 8' open section now filled with soil making it impossible to enter the 10' X 8' crew room. There is an old telegraph pole beside it.
Date of Visit 18.5.2002
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage