Royal Observer Corps
Record added 2/5/2001
Post Name HAVERHILL
OS Grid Reference TL67644619
County Suffolk
Date opened September 1959
Date closed October 1968
Location In the rear garden of 22 Churchill Avenue
Description OPEN Three sides of the compound fencing remain (forming the edge of the property) in place including the old gate, now heavily overgrown, in the North West corner. All surface features remain intact apart from the BPI pipe which is missing. some of the earth cover has been removed revealing several courses of bricks under each shaft. The step up to the access shaft has also been removed. The hatch is open. Internally the post is clean and tidy with the shelf, cupboard, twin bunks and a single bed frame in place. There is also some wiring, BT (GPO) connection boxes and wiring, light and the timer which still works. The owner is keen that the post should be retained and he would like to undertake some restoration work in the future.
Remaining
Surface
Structures
A brick building measuring 8' X 6' and roofed stands nearby representing a part (crew room) of the aircraft post. It has been repaired by the owner.
Date of Visit 6.6.1999
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage