Royal Observer Corps
Record added 2/5/2001
OS Grid Reference TM05377428
County Suffolk
Date opened April 1958
Date closed October 1968
Location In bushes on the South side of the junction of Potters Lane and Common Road by sharp bend.
Description SEALED When first visited in 1997 the post was open. The post is on a small mound within an overgrown compound. All surface features are intact and in fair condition although the hatch is hanging off its hinges. Internally it has been completely stripped and is fire damaged. There is some rubbish on the floor and graffiti on the walls. After widespread local consultation and investigation into the costs of restoration and insurance. The site was cleared in Spring/Summer 2002 by Rickinghall Parish Council on health and safety grounds. The tower was demolished and the bunker sealed. A commemorative plaque was unveiled on the site on 28 November 2003.
A two storey brick aircraft observation tower stood 30 feet to the west. This was demolished in 2002. There was a later aircraft position consisting of railings on the roof with an external ladder for access. There was a blast proof entrance with steps up to the lower floor where there was an instrument mounting in the middle and at the back of the room wooden steps down to a second room.
Date of Visit 21.6.1997
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage