Royal Observer Corps
Record added 2/5/2001
Post Name SUTTON BASSETT
OS Grid Reference SP77669062
County Northamptonshire
Date opened November 1959
Date closed September 1991
Location In a rectangular compound East of a covered reservoir on the North side of an access track/public footpath to Mill House, 200 yards East of Sutton Road (B664)
Description LOCKED The post is on a mound with concrete steps. All surface features remain intact with some flaking of the light green paint. The access shaft has been rebuilt (1989) and a new larger hatch (Torlift) fitted. The old hatch and counter balance lies in the undergrowth nearby. The hatch is locked but can be open with a Torlift key or a large screwdriver. There is a third pipe (probably for the telephone line) sticking out of the ground on the opposite side to the BPI pipe. Internally much remains including table, shelf, cupboard, 3 chairs, one pair of wellington boots, broom, cleaning materials, utensils, BT connection boxes, wiring, light, papers, notices, fire blanket box, two battery boxes and a rack of wooden shelves.
Remaining
Surface
Structures
A two storey brick aircraft observation post stands within the compound. It is 10' by 6' with a window facing North and an open doorway facing South. There is an open section for the post instrument on the upper floor but no access to it as the external wooden steps have gone. There are two original wooden bunks in the lower room.
Date of Visit 20.2.1999 and 17.7.1999
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage