Royal Observer Corps
Record added 2/5/2001
Post Name CLIPSTON
OS Grid Reference SP70248268
County Northamptonshire
Date opened November 1959
Date closed September 1991
Location On high point on pastoral land 100 yards West of un-named minor road.
Description LOCKED The only remains of the compound fencing are two wooden gate posts. All surface features remain intact with some flaking of the dark green paint. The ventilation shaft and FSM pipes are on raised brick plinths. The hatch is locked but can be opened with a 'T' bar key. Internally the post is clean with white polystyrene tiled walls. Carpet tiles have been taken up and left in a pile. All internal woodwork has been painted pink! The folding table, shelf and cupboard remain together with an enamel bucket, pick axe, broom, spade, two pairs of wellington boots, fire blanket box, wiring and an old style GPO headset. Their is also a hand painted sign relating to 15 Group HQ at Derby. (15 Group HQ was at 'Highfields', the Broadway, Derby from 1942 - 1961 when the new protected HQ was opened at Fiskerton. Derby was retained as a secondary training centre until 1968)
Remaining
Surface
Structures
A brick aircraft observation post stands nearby. It is rectangular and divided into two rooms. There is a blast proof entrance on the South side with steps leading to an open roofed room 7' X 7'. There are remains of wooden seats across the East corners with a triangular section of wooden roof above one of the seats. Steps lead down to the smaller room (7' X 4') which has a slightly sloping roof.
Date of Visit 20.2.1999
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage