Royal Observer Corps
Record added 27/4/2001
Post Name BARNWOOD
OS Grid Reference SO87501493
County Gloucestershire
Date opened June 1959
Date closed October 1970
Location On top of Nut hill
Description OPEN The land was purchased by the Woodland Trust in 1999 and opened to the public. At the end of 1999 the ventilation shaft FSM and BPI were removed and capped. The access shaft remains but the hatch was welded shut. There is some damage to the top of the adjacent ventilation shaft and its louvers are missing. Shortly after being welded the hatch was forced open and remains open. It is detached but is held in place with a chain. Internally the post is smoke damaged and strewn with rubbish and rubble. There are also several inches of water on the floor.
Remaining
Surface
Structures
There is an unusual 5-sided WW2 pillbox nearby. There is a rectangular open extension for an LAA gun on one side.
Date of Visit 20.10.2000 and 9.8.2004
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage