Royal Observer Corps
Record added 27/4/2001
Post Name CHURCH GRESLEY
OS Grid Reference SK27931787
County Derbyshire
Date opened June 1959
Date closed September 1991
Location On a low mound in a rectangular compound at the end of a line of telegraph poles just south of and below the Castle Mount and beside a public footpath running west from Knob Field (road).
Description SEALED All surface features remain intact but the green paint is flaking badly. The locks and hasps have been cut off but one broken hasp has been hammered over holding the hatch firmly closed. The hatch appears to be of an unusual 'local' design with raised hasps at one end and a different internal locking mechanism. When visited by a local parish priest Rev. Martin Sylvester in March 2000 the hatch was open and the post had been damaged by fire and smoke and was damp and strewn with rubbish. One fence post and an MOD sign lay at the bottom of the shaft. Twin bunks and a single bed were still in place along with the visitors log which was retrieved for preservation, siren crate, one swivel chair and the WB1401 speech receiver.
Remaining
Surface
Structures
None
Date of Visit 17.6.2000
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage