Royal Observer Corps
Record added 17/4/2001
Post Name ABERCRAVE
OS Grid Reference SN81371282
County Breconshire
Date opened December 1965
Date closed September 1991
Location At the end of a line of telegraph poles on the South side of a field boundary on the hillside above Abercrave, 200 yards North of Tanygarth
Description The original gate is still visible alongside 25 Tanygarth. All surface features remain intact with some flaking of the green paint. The two concrete slabs from the step have been thrown down the shaft. The top of the shaft has been reconstructed at some time and the hatch is not flush with the top of the shaft but is raised up by 2". The hatch is open. Internally the post is a mess with most of the polystyrene tiles pulled from the walls and lying on the floor. The cupboard is in place but its door panels are missing. The standard table and shelf have been replaced by a long dexion table with a shelf below it. There is also a dexion framework in one corner. There are three chairs, dustpan, fir blanket box (detached), kettle and the WB1401 Carrier Receiver with WB1410 filter unit. The speaker unit has been smashed and the board containing these units pulled off the wall. The telephone line ends at the nearby aircraft post.
Remaining
Surface
Structures
A pile of bricks beside the telegraph pole are the remains of the aircraft post. Beside it is a small rectangular pillbox with two loophole in one long wall and the entrance in the other long wall with a blast wall. There is one loophole in each of the two short walls. The doorway is partially bricked up to stop sheep getting in. It is unclear if this pillbox was built in connection with the original aircraft post which opened on the same site in 1938.
Date of Visit 22.05.2000
Future Actions
  Search Again   Return to Homepage