|OS Grid Reference||ND36525396|
|Date opened||September 1959|
|Date closed||October 1968|
|Location||On a small mound on the north side of Wick Airport within the perimeter fence. A few yards to the north of the perimeter track.
|Description||OPEN All surface features remain intact with the ventilation louvres missing on the main ventilation shaft and the hatch frame detached. The hatch is welded to the frame. The louvers on the secondary ventilation shaft are still in place. The FSM pipe has rusted through. Internally the post has been stripped with only the fuse box and some wiring remaining and a little water on the floor. When visited in 2000 it contained a canvas chair, cupboard, 3 Jerry cans, folding table; these items are now broken and lying in the undergrowth around the post. In the past the post has been used by airport fire service staff for training purposes. During an exercise it was filled with high-density foam and firemen had to locate and remove objects while in their protective suits. It is no longer used for this purpose on health and safety grounds.|
|Much of interest remains around this old military airfield including 2 of the 4 original hangers, original control tower, hardened buildings and a Pickett-Hamilton Fort which, until recently, was still working. It now stands alongside the main runway with the hand-cranked pump beside it.
|Date of Visit||24.6.2003|