|Post Name||JOHN O’GROATS|
|OS Grid Reference||ND40557325|
|Date opened||September 1959|
|Date closed||September 1991|
|Location||In a large square compound beside trig. Station. On the south side of the car park at Duncansby Head.
|Description||OPEN All surface features remain intact with the light green paint flaking badly. The hatch has been forced at the hinge pins and opened the wrong way. The supporting framework for the counterbalance weight is badly bent out of shape and the hatch can’t be closed. Internally it is in good condition with much remaining including table, shelf, cupboard, rope, battery fuse box, battery box, tool rack, toilet rolls, clip board, visitors log, BT junction boxes/wiring, eye wash, list of posts, 2 boxes of printing out paper, 1 box of photographic paper, kitchen utensils, small portable solid fuel stove, mess tins, spare lights, thermometer, rubber gloves, Wellington boots, mirror and various posters.
The hatch has been cemented in place and there is now no trace of the hut other than the plinth (background of second photo).
|In an adjacent compound there is a small dilapidated shack with half of the structure completely missing. This was the post hut. Nearby there are a number of guying points for a mast but this probably had nothing to do with the post. There are also several batteries of the type normally found in underground posts (2002). When visited in July 2007 the post had deteriorated badly. The hatch is now detached and lying on the grass. There is water on the floor and the remaining artefact now litter the floor. The post hut has now collapsed or been knocked over by vandals.|
|Date of Visit||24.6.2002|