|OS Grid Reference||NM68736743|
|Date opened||January 1964|
|Date closed||September 1991|
|Location||On the west side of Acharacle telephone exchange.|
|Description||DEMOLISHED The post was demolished about 1990. Some of the compound still exists including a gate and style. The part of the compound containing the post has been incorporated into a back garden and the soil has been partly excavated to create a car parking area. Part of the unfilled access shaft is visible on top of the bank. The BPI pipe still protrudes from the ground. The ladder lies in the undergrowth nearby.|
|Salen / Acharacle Royal Observer Corps WWII Aircraft Post
NM 68799 65991
Opened July 1940 M,689660, 35/D.3;
27/C.1 Nov 1953;
resite to M.688674 Jan 1964;
27/A.1 Oct 1968;
30/Q.1 April 1973;
In use 1976
Structure in quite good condition, couple of pieces of corrugated lying near the site.
No trace of the support for the instruments.
Several telegraph poles running up hillside from old GPO building at NM 69008 66203.
There is a short section of conduit inside the post, presumable where the telephone cable entered.
There is some concrete a few feet South East of the post, with a circular hole in the middle that would be about the right size for another telegraph pole.
|Date of Visit||27.7.2003|