Site Records


Site Name: Higham - British Uralite Factory

Canal Road
Higham
Kent
OS Grid Ref: TQ703738

Sub Brit site visit 30th April 2005

[Source: Nick Catford]

The British Uralite works at Higham opened in about 1900 making pipes. The factory had its own railway siding from the branch line to Grain and Allhallows and had its own station, Uralite Halt which opened in 1906. It was a public station but was primarily intended to be used by the workforce.

Although the works has now closed most of the buildings are still standing although some are in a dilapidated condition. The site now forms the Canal Road Industrial Estate.

On the opposite side of the railway line there is a large EWS marshaling yard and permanent way depot.



Photo by Nick Catford


Photo by Nick Catford


Photo by Nick Catford


Photo by Nick Catford

For further pictures of the British Uralite works at Higham click here

[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: 04 01 2011
©1998- 2019 Subterranea Britannica