Site Records


Site Name: Bexhill Civil Defence Centre

Terminus Road
Bexhill
East Sussex
TA735075

Site visit March 1968

[Source: Nick Catford]

Bexhill West station closed to passengers on 15 June 1964, an early casualty of the Beeching axe. The track was lifted in 1965. Shortly after this the station building found a new use as a Civil Defence training centre and headquarters. It also acted as a control centre although there was no protected accommodation available. The Civil Defence Corps was stood down in 1968 and the building has been put to a number of different uses.

It was listed as Grade II by English Heritage on 27 February 2013. The building is now occupied by Gorringes Auction Galleries. The adjoining former refreshment rooms are now a pub and restaurant.

A service for Crowhurst awaits departure from Bexhill West station in June 1956.
Copyright photo by R M Casserley

By March 1968 the former station building had found a new use as the Bexhill Civil Defence HW and training centre.
Photo by Nick Catford

In March 1968 three Civil Defence Corps vehicles are seen parked in the station concourse. The long island platform which was in front of the vehicles had been demolished by this date.
Photo by Nick Catford

[Source: Nick Catford]

home.gifHome Page
Last updated 27th November 2013

© 1998-2013 Subterranea Britannica