Subterranea Britannica

Langdon Battery, Dover

HM Coastguard, Langdon, Dover CT15 5NA
OS Grid Ref: TR340424
Location:
Date of visit: February 2011

[Source: Chris Rayner]

The battery was built in 1898 in response to the new threat from Imperial Germany, and was armed with three 9.2" guns and two 6" guns. It was used as an Examination Battery, protecting examination vessels with naval inspection officers on board who would be sent out to check incoming merchant ships. Underground magazines were provided with a part brick-lined sloping passage giving access, and later a tunnel was run from the magazines to a cliff edge observation post

The battery was operational in both world wars. One action on August 1916 saw the battery severely damaging and driving off a Zeppelin that had been attacking Dover harbour. The Zeppelin came down in the Channel and was finally destroyed by a French seaplane as attempts were being made to tow it into German-occupied Ostend. On other occasions the battery came under bombardment from German destroyers.

The 9.2 guns had gone by the start of the Second World War and the battery now had three 6" guns.

In the 1970s the above ground battery was partly demolished and the new Coastguard Station was built. The underground magazines survived however and are now used for storage.

Visit by kind permission of HM Coastguard and with thanks to Senior Watch Manager Ted Ingham

[Source: Chris Rayner]

Home Page
Last updated

Subterranea Britannica